Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Lost Buffett Letters (BRK.A)

1440 Wall Street writes:
I am no great Buffett-ologist. And I don't consider myself to be a value investor by any means.

And while I don't have a tipline, I do have scores of relationships that date back nearly 20-years. From time to time I pass along things of interest, and Warren Buffett's very first partnership letter, written when Eisenhower was President, and the twenty that follow are apparently hard to come by:

2/11/59

A friend who runs a medium-sized investment trust recently wrote: "The mercurial temperament, characteristic of the american people, produced a major transformation in 1958 and "exuberant" would be the proper word for the stock market, at least"....

...
The interest in the letters might stem from the fact that they have not been published. I am not sure where the particular individual found them, but he added:

After years of searching , someone has finally posted warren buffets original partnership letters online This is most relevant because this is how he actually ran his hedge fund when it was small.

Yes, Warren Buffett’s assets under management used to be modest.

In any case, if you want the link to the letters, which cover nearly twenty years ending in 1969, send me an email describing in ten words or less why 1440 is the best financial blog extant, or if you don’t believe that, why I am a douchebag. Be forewarned, the letters will take hours to read in their entirety.

Respectfully yours,

StockJockey


Well I am a Buffetologist and I also know where they are. We'll give StockJockey time to conduct his poll/contest, say for another 12 days, 23 hours and 30 minutes. If he hasn't publicly provided the link, meet me here after the close on Monday, August 18.